I don’t usually think of the double reed crowd as being terribly interested in woodwind doubling, but there were a number of doublers (ranging from amateur to professional) present at the IDRS conference this year. I know of these ones:
- Doug Owens, my fellow UGA doctoral student, soon to be starting a faculty position in saxophone and double reeds at Fort Lewis College.
- Daron Bradford, a former teacher of mine and an active doubler in the Salt Lake City area. He played clarinet in the conference festival orchestra.
- Phil Feather (scroll down), active on the Los Angeles scene.
- Terry Halvorson, a contributor to my Broadway doubling list.
- Kirt Saville, until recently director of bands in the Washburn University music department, just got a new job in the band department at Brigham Young University
- Kevin Fullmer, a new acquaintance of mine
- As far as I know, Broadway pit orchestra mainstay Marvin Roth was not in attendance, but Peter Simpson and Christine Carucci did a recital of his charming bassoon duets
- Stephanie Caulder of Indiana University of Pennsylvania