- The International Clarinet Association blog provides an introduction to Kornel Wolak’s research on clarinet articulation.
- Érik González shares five tips to improve the oboe reedmaking process.
- Saxophonist Andy Austin does postmortem on a disappointing performance.
- Clarinetist Denise Gainey shares a personal experience with anxiety and self-care.
- Saxophonist Bill Plake takes a deep dive on warming up.
- Bassoonist David Pierce reflects on 35 years of growth as a teacher [update: link dead].
- Jennifer Fraley shares some alternate fingerings for E-flat clarinet.
- Flutist Jennifer Cluff reveals a favorite resource for study of ornaments.
- Stephen Caplan examines the connection between oboe playing and some gastric phenomena.
Favorite blog posts, December 2016
- Saxophonist Bill Plake discusses the relationship between strength and coordination in instrumental technique.
- Jenny Maclay lists some important clarinet repertoire, in a festive format.
- Clarinetist Denise Gainey shares a funny and relatable gig story.
- David Pierce offers exercises for upper-register bassoon playing in sharp keys. I also liked this mini-etude for dealing with some common in-the-staff issues [update: links dead].
- Khara Wolf compiles some information on making English horn reeds.
- Oboist Patty Mitchell reminds us about posture and practicing.
Favorite blog posts, June 2016
- Jenny Maclay gets a little judgy (not really) about deadly clarinet sins.
- Flutist Meerenai Shim explains the “tongue ram” extended technique.
- Clarinetist Denise Gainey shares somes memories of Kalman Opperman.
- Jessica Valiente shares a chapter from her dissertation on charanga flute music.
- Oboist Jennet Ingle submits her report from the International Double Reed Society conference. (Stay tuned for my own report.)